Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Some days are like that

I received an e-mail Monday morning from my cousin title “Some days you just shouldn’t get out of bed”. By the time I went to bed Monday night I shared these exact sentiments.

My days are usually very busy running kids everywhere, trying to keep my house running smoothly and fulfilling my obligations. I usually manage pretty good during the day; but when Nolan gets home from school and he has Mad Science Class, Jarom has a friend over (who refuses to leave), there is supper to be made, homework to be completed, a magnetic Mouse Maze project due, not to mention the nightly reading, as well as basketball practice to get to, I sometimes get a little frazzled.

Monday was just such a night. By the time I got everyone organized and out the door we were running late for basketball. In my hast to get into practice I forgot to lock the van doors and returned after practice to find the van totally ransacked - my wallet missing and Nolan’s back pack gone.

Now it could have been a lot worse, I wasn’t using my wallet so all the vital cards were not there – except mine and the kid’s birth certificates. Nolan had forgotten to take his glasses to school so they were not in his back pack – something that was such a relief to me I wasn’t to worried about the rest of the missing “stuff”.

Spencer and I spend half and hour searching in the freezing cold for the wallet and backpack, hoping they had dumped it somewhere along the way – no luck.

Tuesday morning Spencer received a phone call at work from a man who found his business card amongst all the other card thrown all over the street. He told us the street and my friend (I was trapped at home waiting for my new fridge and stove to be delivered - Yippee) went and searched the street and recovered more of my cards and Nolan’s backpack and agenda minus the library book – the thieves must be into A-Z mystery books.

We haven’t recovered the birth certificates yet, but all in all I feel very fortunate.

5 comments:

Anne said...

you really should phone me more often, You have a whole other life going on that I am unaware of!!!

Jess said...

Isn't it nice that there are good samaritans out there. It always makes me happy to know that other people care!!
I am glad that you got most of your stuff back.

Kristi Drennan said...

Holy Moly well I didn't expect that at all! That's just not a good night! How violating...in Halifax we had our car broken into five times. We eventually just left it unlocked because we didn't have anything left for them to take. Well at least you got some stuff back!

Shaela said...

i'm so sorry!!! Sounds like more than "just a bad day".

Amy said...

Hi Angela,
That sounds awful, I understand your frustration with all of it. Isn't it funny that when something bad happens, we are 'just glad it wasn't worse'!
The manetic maze looks awesome!
Amy