Yesterday morning Spencer wrote what we hope is his very last exam (cross your fingers) on his journey to becoming an architect. He booked a hotel, as his tests have to be taken in Calgary and was schedules to be written early in morning. When I found out he booked a hotel with a water slide the kids and I weaseled our way into the trip.
Okay friends, this is something I have wanted to do with my kids ever since I saw it on my cousins blog, who by the way is such a spectacular mom and so much fun I wish we lived closer!
BED DIVING
8 comments:
Okay...the bed diving photos....pee my pants laughing worthy!
Good grief, is he still having to write exams? How long ago did he graduate. How many years, from start to finish does it take to be an architect? Hey, did you get into the super secret "Special People" clubroom?
Minimum 6 years if you go to a single University with the shortest program (Most people go to 2 Universities in Canada and end up doing 7-8 years). Then, for a fee, you must submit your academic records to a national certification body to certify your degrees and tell you that you are eligible to become an intern (even though your graduate school was already accredited). Then you begin the 'Internship Program' gaining experience for a minimum of nearly 6000 hours under a registered architect (and mentor) in more than a dozen key practice areas. Then you write 9 licensing exams that total more than 30 hours of total examination time (this has recently changed to 7 exams for the new interns). Then you finally apply for your license with your board or association.
Most people don't realize this, but yes, a long time indeed. And of course, life's unplanned circumstances tend to affect the process as well (such as the minor error I made during a one and a half hour section in one of those exams, causing me to transition to the new version, writing 2 new exams to make up for that error). You wait 6 months between exams. Whine, whine, whine - but hopefully it is over for good. These are the US AREs out of Washington (not the 4 Canadian ExACs).
There are 2200 'interns' in Ontario who average 45 years of age - some who work for registered architects who never plan to become licensed themselves. Clearly many interns find the process unduly burdensome. There is usually no rush to finish from a salary increase point of view, but there is a benefit if you want to start your own firm...one day. :)
Wow, I had no idea it was such a long process. You could become a dr. in that much time (or possibly less time depending on your specialty). However, I'd say it's a good thing you chose to be an architect. With the exception of a few really great dr.'s I've worked with over the years, I've decided that one of the main requirements of med school is at least a partial lobotomy.
Love the bed diving photos. You are both such fun parents. Congrats to Spencer you guys are troopers for being in school so long.
LOL! What the heck is bed diving? Looks super fun!
Just sayin' who's to pay for the broken beds.
Hmmm I wonder who you got bed diving from? Certainly not me the serious cousin but likely my light hearted and FUN sister. I'm always impressed with the pictures. You guys did not dissapoint! These are awesome.
Post a Comment