Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reading and Random

1.  I love reading; I've tried very hard over the years to turn my non-reading kids into readers.  I'll let them read anything - even dare I confess it - Captain Underpants, to get them to catch the reading bug.  Nolan caught it and always has a good book to read.

A while back he finished reading the Book of Mormon - I was ridiculously proud, because although I gave lots of encouragement, he ultimately was the one who had to read it.  The older he gets the more I can see how essential it is for these teens to have their testimonies growing. 

Today he was chatty when he got home from school.  He is normally quite silent and stingy with the information he is willing to share, so I sat there and soaked it in, appreciating the moment of free flowing information.  He has two girls at school who want him to ask them to the upcoming dance.  He's 11.  We talked about how he felt, what he wanted to do and then we talked about the counsel from the prophet; 14 is the age to start attending dances.  He seemed relieved.  There is safety and comfort in following the prophet.

Anyhow, I sort of went in a different direction there then I intended; my purpose in telling you Nolan finished the Book of Mormon was to lead into something he said that I always want to remember.  The boys and I were driving out to my parents and Nolan and I were discussing personal scripture study and how it was important that he continue to read a little bit every day.  Then he said, "Mom, it's so hard for me just to read a little bit.  When I read it's so real.  It's like I'm the main character in the story and everything is happening to me".  Awesome!

Family Picture August 2011

2.  Lately I've been reading non-fiction.  Our book club read Driven - the Larry H. Miller Biography a few months ago and ever since I've enjoyed reading life lessons others have to share.  Currently I'm reading Katie Couric's The Best Advice I Ever Got - Lessons from extraordinary lives. One quote in there I love - "Along the way, you're bound to encounter people who are naysayers and buzz killers.  Maybe they're insecure, maybe they're bitter, maybe they simply lack imagination.  Those people need to be strained from your life like sand from a colander of freshly washed seashells."  Great Metaphor!

3.  Spencer is gone for the week.  He's in Regina attending a conference.  I hate it when he's gone; life doesn't seem to run as smooth.

4.  Yesterday during dinner, Jarom took a scoop of Mayo.  Looked at it and said it looked like a pile of bird poop.  I looked at it and thought, you're right, it does. 

5.  A couple of weeks back I finally got to talk to one of my best friends from Winnipeg I hadn't talked to her for a long time.  We chatted for hours and then because it was after midnight we hung up.  After I was so "homesick" for her and all of my good friends from Winnipeg.  I was reminded how much I love talking to her and how much I miss our chats about life and parenting.

5 comments:

Chelsea Belle said...

Nolan is so cute I would want him to ask me to the dance too!!!

Reading your blog I hope is like reading into my future...you do so good with your boys, and making good men with testimonies, aww the goal!
Your amazing Angela!!! You can tell your a good listener (even if it means a lot of waiting for your stoic young men to open up)

mbmcclung said...

I agree 100% with Chelsea.... Nolan is a great kid , Im so impressed with him! And I was looking at him on Sunday and thought is is turning out to be such a handsome boy..so Im not surprised all the girls want him to go with them.. It so funny, how boys works so different then girls!
Anyways my point was to tell you also what a great mom you are so "keep it up"!

carolyne b said...

If you ever decide to come for a visit to Winnipeg, our door is always open. We sure do miss you, Spencer and the kids. Love your blog, and council from our Prophets do help our kids to make right choices and not feel so bad when they can say No to something.

Anonymous said...

I love love love your blog. If you are into biographies, you have to read "Gifted Hands- the Ben Carson Story"! It is my new favourite book and I made Wes and Michelle read it too (they also liked it). There is also a movie of it, but of course the book is way better.

I also really liked "The Villa Triste", but it is historical fiction not biography.

Such awesome pictures of your boys and your family!
Nicole

Anonymous said...

That incident with you and Noland chatting about scripture study took me back to a time when a Dad and a Daughter were traveling back from a late basketball game in Picture Butte, in an old beat up Datsun truck, taking about and sharing our favorite scriptures and why they were our favorite..... how I miss that time in my life.

Dad