Monday, July 03, 2006

Alberta Here we come!!!

Well it has been a very eventful four days. Friday morning bright and early I packed the kids and our stuff in the van and headed home to Alberta. This trip is 14 hours of agony at the best of times, but 14 hours alone with 2 kids who are very very very anxious to see their grandparents is just pure torture. The kids started to ask at Portage La Prairie if we were there yet. For those not familiar will Manitoba geography, Portage La Prairie is about one hour into the trip. After a while Nolan started to say, "Hey that barn looks like close one close to my grandpa's; we must be getting close". Poor kid, I just kept saying, "No we won't be there until supper and it's only breakfast time". The games, treats and movies helped and I have worked out a system to keep our stops to a minimum yet still allow the kids to run around. We stop at McDonalds with a play place, they play while I order, then I sit and give them 15 minutes to play. Then we get in the car where I finally let them eat their lunch. It works out great!


When we got home we took a quick dip in the pool while we waited for Auntie Rachel to arrive; then we all headed off to Waterton Nation Park to meet up with my parents. Nolan and Jarom both take after their dad in his love for the mountains, so they were very excited to have 3 whole days to sleep in their sleeping bags, roast marshmallow and just being dirty.

Early Saturday morning Nolan, Auntie Rachel and Grandpa went to climb a mountain. Nolan had a great time, but tired quickly so he and Auntie Rachel came back to the campsite while Grandpa persevered up the mountain and reached the summit. While we waited for the mountain climber to return, we went down to Waterton lake to do a little swimming. The kids were a little braver than the adults; Jarom kept asking me to throw him in the lake... Waterton lake is Glacial water so merely dipping your toes in the water may in fact cause them to freeze, Crazy kid.

Yesterday we went down to Red Rock Canyon and Climbed down the Canyon. Red Rock in my favorite place to visit in Waterton. It is so beautiful; really it's a place that everyone should experience at some point in his or her life. If you ever have a chance to go and climb down the canyon take the opportunity, it's so beautiful. I have awesome pictures that I will add at a later date.

My parents have also recently acquired a chocolate lab pup name Max; but we all call him Maxie. There is just something about babies and puppies that make you automatically add an ie to the end of their name. Although he is totally adorable, he has a little ankle-biting problem that is starting diminish everyones love for the pup. I think we all bare a marking of some sort as proof that we were mistaken for a chew toy. I am actually very excited to have had this time with Maxie. Our friends have a little dog that Jarom loves and everytime I see Jarom and the dog play together I always think, Jarom needs a dog; and I was very close to buying him one. Maxie has reminded me that puppies are like babies who become dogs/children.

Only 18 days until Spencer joins us. It will be great to have a summer vacation with him.

Anyhow, we are all doing very well and happy to be here. It's been a very busy couple of days and I think I'll head off to bed now.

No comments: