I probably shouldn’t be writing this because I am tired and my censor seems to be toned down, if not totally off when I am tired. I named my blog Confessions of a stay at home mom – but then all I do is present all the good things in our life – but it’s good because there are a lot of good things. Plus whenever I read everyone else blog their life seem perfect so I try to pretend that mine is too – although it is pretty good just needs a bit of tweaking and relocation to warmer temperatures.
The end of February/beginning of March is the hardest time of the year for me. The winter blues peak and I am so tired of the bitterly cold I feel like I’m not going to make it. With the warming up of the temperature so does my outlook on life.
I think my kids share in my feelings of the long long cold winter and are ready for the warm temps and time outside. The fighting and frustration seem to be at an all time high and my patients seem to be at an all time low. In an effort to once again bring some serenity to our family I am trying to implement some changes! I’ve started a nightly “love note” at the dinner table telling my children and hubby why I love them and why I am proud of them. Nolan seems to really like this, but Jarom feels he should be the one to write on the card.
Today at Gymkids I was talking to the other mom’s and one mom was telling me that her friend attended a parenting course, the instructor told her for two days to just completely praise her children; to put a positive spin on everything and ignore all the bad behaviour. I am really willing to try anything and so I’ve tried to put this advice into action.
During family prayers tonight when Nolan kept touching Jarom just to be annoying and I really wanted to say, stop touching your brother or there will be no ice-cream for you, Instead I said, “wow, look at how much you love your brother, you’re always touching him”. Nolan stopped and looked at me for a sec and then nodded and started hugging Jarom, then me. A much nicer result I must confess.
8 comments:
that's awesome!! I love that idea!!! I'll have to remember that later in my Mommy life!
Love the idea and look how great it worked. That is a supermom moment. You have great kids. Everyone is dying for spring to release some energy. I am sure Jarom and Nolan feel the same.
I am teaching a preschool program on Thursday mornings at Island lakes School and let me tell you that today was insane, the weather has changed and the kids feel the need to let off some steam from having been cooped up all winter. In a few more months both Jarom and Nolan will be out back riding around on their bikes and things will improve. Like Jessica said great mommy moment.
Carolyne in Niverville
I found your link through Mandy's blog and figured I'd catch up with you.
Just from this first entry - I completely feel for you. I think that people's blogs are generally "good" because that is how we'd like to appear ... that and I make myself do it so I can focus on what GOOD is going on in my life instead of the looming "not so great".
I like that idea of focusing on the good. With an autistic son, it's easy to slip into the "gah! this is TERRIBLE!" ... when I know if I just stepped back a step I could find a very positive way to spin the happenings of the day; no matter how hard it seems at that exact moment.
Angelia, my dear neice, you doing a wonderful job of parenting soooo far from home. Parenting is the HARDEST job you will EVER have to do but I PROMISE speaking from experience as an empty nester now; it will PAY YOU THE HIGHEST rewards.The stuff money CAN'T buy.
love aunt janexoxoxo
I'd like to offer my endorsement of parenting courses as well. I successfully completed my class a few weeks ago. It didn't make our family that much happier, but it did get child protective services off my back.
Lousy government...
Speaking of child protective services, you make me look bad- Shane! Rach
I've gotta try this technique! (...I say as my kids are forbidden to leave their room on pain of death until it's clean because I'm so sick of them not listening to me and I just want them out of my hair.)
Don't worry Angela; not everyone presents a rosy picture. Whenever you need a little pick my up, just head over to my blog. It's mostly just my place to whine and moan. :D
Post a Comment