Friday, May 02, 2008

A Wife’s Prerogative


I have lots to share! The last couple of weeks have been busy with Kaye and my mom visiting, not to mention the great lumpia roll, but I wanted to brag about my amazing ultra talented husband.

We had lots of good news last week. After an agonizing month (for Spencer) we learned that Spencer did indeed pass another exam. Yippee!!! He left the exam feeling like he had failed, but I’ve learned after 13 yrs of marriage that this is probably not the case and remained optimistic. This means 3 exams down and 6 more to go.

On a huger note, Spencer has finally, after 5 yrs of working, completed his intern hours. 5600 hours total spread across 16 categories of professional experience. This means that, after he passes his last 6 exams he will officially be an architect.

Spencer has worked on many projects, gaining the respect and admiration of all those he works with. His bosses love him and I happen to think he is an architectural genius.

Spence was a design architect and contract administrator on the Seven Oaks Emergency redevelopment project and the architecture is mainly his design. All those who have seen the designs are thoroughly impressed. Because the design and planning was approached in a modern new way, doctors from all over the city are vying for the opportunity to work in such a remarkable new facility. He is also assisting with the design of renovations to Victoria General Hospital Emergency.

8 comments:

Anne said...

Way to go Spenny! You Rock! We all knew you'd pass that exam, It's not in you to do any less then a excellent job! Congratulations!!

And way to go Angela! Your a wonderful companion to support Spencer! He is Super LUCKY to have you!!

You both deserve the best!!!

Tricia said...

When is the party to celebrate I am so there. Yay Spencer!!!!!!!

Jess said...

That hospital does look really cool. That is so exciting that he is getting closer to being done. I can't wait for my hubby to be done.

Anonymous said...

Good job Spence!! I'm so impressed!

m-strat said...

Wow. Doctors all over Winnipeg competing to work in the new hospital?

I'd like to know how that competition works. Is it an entrance exam where the highest scores get in?

Or maybe...there's a huge rumble underneath the tenth street bridge. And the doctors are all divided into gangs according to specialty. You could have pediatrics bringing the brass knuckles down on orthopedics, and radiology clubbing the ob/gyn's upside the head with a lead pipe.

That would be awesome.

m-strat said...

Wow. Doctors all over Winnipeg competing to work in the new hospital?

I'd like to know how that competition works. Is it an entrance exam where the highest scores get in?

Or maybe...there's a huge rumble underneath the tenth street bridge. And the doctors are all divided into gangs according to specialty. You could have pediatrics bringing the brass knuckles down on orthopedics, and radiology clubbing the ob/gyn's upside the head with a lead pipe.

That would be awesome.

camfox said...

Yeah... then the ER would clean up the mess with the help of the grandma gift shop volunteers.

Congratulations Spencer. You are almost there, and it feels great to look back on all your hard work. What is most important is your talents in design. I'm curious what the new modern approach was to designing this hospital. Nathan (Camille's husband)

Anonymous said...

Nathan,

As you are well aware, work at this scale is always a TEAM effort - I just had the largest hand in all of it - from the first line drawn right down to occupancy - I got to see the project all the way through design, construction documents and contract admin. There is a lot I would change and a story to every part of this project. The dynamics of construction, etc.

It isn't maintained or updated that often (I only have so much time for such activities), but if you want more dialogue and photos on this particular project and other critical tidbits on industry related content, dial into my blog at:

http://spenolange.vox.com/

I figure Angela covers the family stuff, which leaves me to write about all of my (boring?) work related discourses.

As for being 'modern' - this is how Angela has managed to describe the entire planning and design agenda in a nutshell. Truthfully, it was simply a unique departure from this province's usual formulaic health care delivery method - so I guess it is now 'modernized'. Nothing fancier than the privately funded for profit hospitals (dare I say resorts) that dot the United States. So 'modern' by comparison in Manitoba I guess. That and it is hoping to certify LEED CI Silver and incorporates a number of other sustainable features. Also, compared to other facilities across the province, the provincial Health board holding the purse strings has provided funds (along with the hospital) which has allowed for a number of rarely achieved (or funded) before design qualities not usually associated with the average Manitoba hospital - ie. natural light and so forth. This ED was part addition and renovation. Their existing ED had to be up and running, so it is planned in two phases and also includes a new Pharmacy, Cast Clinic and Administrative floor. Several aesthetic constraints were necessary due to the existing tie in to the 30 year old main hospital - so it wasn't clean slate by any means.

I went to ASHE Health Care Conference in San Diego last year and should be going to the Green Building Conference in Boston this fall (can you say...Desmond Tutu?). I passed up an opportunity to go to Canada's own Green Building Summit this June for the one in Boston. Next week its to Toronto to see med-gas columns, booms and headwalls at VitalAire (Amico products) which we use as a base bid in our specs.

One day the Public Schools Finance Board will permit our children to have natural light in the design of our school environments instead of trying to artificially appropriate the exposed steel decking and OWSJs over the children's heads with simply painted primary colours. I guess we can school our children in jail cells as long as they are painted red yellow and blue? It's almost that bad.

Enough cynicism for one day. Did you finish all the NCARB AREs, IAP program and register yet? Someone was telling me you were in more of a project management role?

Spencer