Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Immovables

The Mutual theme this year is “Be steadfast and immovable always abounding in good works” (Mosiah 5:15). For our New Beginning this year, as a presidency – I am serious blessed with awesome counsellors, we decided that the 3rd Thursday of every month would be our “abounding in good works activity” and we would perform service. We had T-shirts made for all the girls, brainstormed a team name; called ourselves the “Immovables”, had it printed on the back of the shirts and then we wear them to each of our service activities.

We’ve done different service activities; provided babysitting at the church so couples could go out with there significant other on Valentines day, cleaned the church, made sandwiches and took them to homeless shelters. Some activities have been more successful than others. Teaching girls why we do service and having them experience the true meaning of service has always been a bit of a struggle.

Tonight we went to a nursing home; our main purpose in going was to visit with the people and sing to them. We brought music from their era and one of the girls brought her dog and another leader brought her guitar. When we arrived I could tell that the girls were nervous. The people living in the home were at different stages health wise and mentally, which can be a little scary when you're young; I was a little nervous about how the girls would react.

At first the girls huddled together at the side, but people started to notice the dog and wanted to pet her. We gave the girls a push and told them to mingle around. At first they timidly approached a person and inquired as to their name and politely asked questions about their lives. It was so fun to watch the people light up when the dog would come near them or how their demeanor would change as the girls talked to them and held their hand. After we had been there about an hour I was having a lovely chat with a man named Bill and two of my girls were visiting with a woman just behind Bill. One of the girls looked at me and said, “I like coming here, it makes me feel good. I want to come back”.

I’ve learned so many things as yw’s president. I’ve learned that we try and try and try and then suddenly it happens, the girls have an experience that helps them to understand a principle or gain a testimony of what we have been trying to teach them. I was so proud to be a part of these outstanding girls.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Those are the best moments. To know that you actually did it, you taught them something, or were apart of the teaching.

Joe said...

I remember doing the same activity during a youth conference way back when. I still remember the feelings that you just described. Great job! I hope my daughters young womens leader is as diligent as you when she gets there (only a year and a half away... scarry). Congrats!

Joe