I learned about this little gadget last week. The Amazon Kindle. For those who are as in the dark about this paperless reading device as I was, and blissfully so I might so boldly proclaim; it is just that, a book, a newspaper, a magazine all rolled into one electronic device.I love the shiny, colorful and beautifully photographed cover of a book I am about to devour.
I love the smell of freshly opened pages.
I love the creak of a book no one else has opened before.
I get shivers up my spine and tingles all over when I hold a book in my hands I have been anticipating reading.
These are the times when I relate to my grandpa Blumel who grumbled every time he had to wear his seat beat. Why would he not wear his seat belt when it will save his life? My grandkids will be looking at me the same way I looked at my grandpa. Why will grandma Angela not make friends with the Kindle that is totally paperless, there by saving our trees and thereby our planet? 
3 comments:
I've thought many times about this kindle business. I actually heard about it a year or so ago. And the earth lover in me wants so badly to be on board with this...but I can't do it. I'm with you. May I just add my ah ha moment that's happening right now as I write? What happens when there is kindle upgrades...or when the kindles bust? Is this little electronic device "recyclable"? Books are. Books also can be passed around and shared(not gonna share your kindle), donated to library's for others to read as well as ourselves...and when all else fails, can be recycled. Yes I do prefer the feeling and sensory that happens when I hold a book.
Well, I've never even handled one of these things let alone try reading from one, so I guess I can't really pass judgement, but my instinct says I wouldn't be a fan. As someone who has been devoted to books since before I even knew how to read, I just can't see getting the same enjoyment from some souless flat little electronic gizmo. Who want's to cuddle up in bed with a hard, flat little computer? Or curl up on the couch with a storm raging outside? It seems like it would be like replacing a delicious homemade pot of chicken noodle soup and warm crusty bread with those meals-in-a-pouch the give the astronauts. (Besides, like grandpa ever needed a seatbelt. How damaged are you going to be if you hit something going 10 mph?)
Check this out:
www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12839/digital-life/apples-media-pad-to-target-kindles-ebook-market
Post a Comment