The boys and I started a new hobby together- Geocaching. For those not
familiar with Geocaching it's a worldwide treasure hunt. I downloaded the app on my phone. Nolan navigates while I drive then we track through tall brush, thistles all the while enduring mosquito bites and all sort of fun things in pursuit of our treasure. Sometimes we find a Micro (pictured below) where we celebrate then sign our names and move on, other times we find a bigger cache filled with all sorts of goodies. Nolan found a survival bracelet in another cache and acted like it was Christmas morning (bottom photo).
I love caching for lots of reasons, it's just plain cheap fun. We've been to places around where we live that we would never go or explore. But mostly I love it, because it helps me connect with these boys of mine that are growing up so fast it makes my head spin. I love that Jarom slips his sweet little hand in mine and chats away about his dreams and all the things that happen to him in his day as Nolan leads us on a path that is not quite right, still enjoying the journey knowing that eventually we will find the cache. I love that my usually silent 13 year old chatters on about ways to survive in the wilderness and sharing with me things that are important to him. To me, these are the treasures I discover while caching.


No comments:
Post a Comment