Monday, April 02, 2007

Book Review #7: My Sister's Keeper


After having 2 kids, Kate and Jesse, Sara and Brian decide their family is finished. When at the age of 3 it is discovered that Kate has a rare form of leukemia, her parents decide to have another baby that will genetically match Kate in every way; providing Kate with much need stem cells. What was suppose to be a one time donations from Anna to Kate turns into a life long experience of Anna being subjected to many medical procedures whenever Kate experience a relapse. The two sisters become so interwoven in their identity that Sara must struggle for her release by hiring a lawyer to get her medical emancipation.

This is a book that I normally would steer clear of; it took me through so many different emotions. Seeing the point of view of Anna, basically just existing to be a donor for her sister. Viewing the situation from the eyes of her mother, Sara; being a mother myself, could I let my child die, when there is another one that could save her? At the same time knowing that I am sacrificing one child to save another. It was a complicated book. However, I could have said that it was a good read, except that the author ends the book in such a way that leaves the reader stunned; something so totally unexpected it is almost unforgivable.

4 comments:

Anne said...

nice hook... I may have to read it now. unless you just tell me about it!!!

Anonymous said...

tell me how it ends so i dont have to read it!!!
Dale

Anonymous said...

You are a reading machine, Ang. Have you read the Life of Pi?

Angela said...

I tried to read Life of Pi. When I got to the part where the dad brings his son to watch a Tiger eat a goat I decided it maybe wasn't for me.