Thursday, May 17, 2007

Where have all the snake gone?



















A couple of week-ends ago we loaded the kids in the van and headed off to the Narcisse Snake Dens (located about 1 1/2 hours north of Winnipeg). This is an attraction I have always wanted to see here in Manitoba. It is the largest gathering of Red-sided garter snakes in the world. Right here in our backyard!!! How could we not go? I’ve always heard tales of there being so many snakes that they were falling off the tree branches in huge clumps, the dens were covered with hundred, even thousands of snakes sunny themselves and searching for their perfect mate.

Well, this was not the case, the one Saturday we were able to go. It was cold, and raining and the hundreds of snakes crawled back in their dens and waited for the sun to shine before they were willing to put on a good show for the tourist. I think we saw maybe 4, ok there could have been a little more, but there was no where close to the numbers I had been expecting.

On a brighter side, because of the cold weather the snakes were very slow moving and the kids were able to handle them. Nolan wasn’t to sure about the snakes, but in the end held one long enough for us to take a photo. Jarom loved the snakes, a little too much some might say. He was letting the snakes crawl all over him, putting the snakes over his eyes and kissing the snakes. It was great!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I had friends go there the weekend after us and they didn't see very many snakes either. What happened is the weather is to chilly this year compared to other years so lots of snakes are dying because of it. The man said this is not a great year for the dens.....maybe next year.