I wanted to share some of my summer reading – as I know this is why so many of you click daily onto my blog site.I’d wanted to read the Birth House for quite some time and it was much different then I had thought it would be. I thought it was about a house unwed mothers went to have their babies; instead it is the story of a girl growing up in Nova Scotia who become a midwife.
From The Birth House:
"My house became the birth house. That's what the women called it, knocking on the door, ripe with child, water breaking on the porch. First-time mothers full of questions, young girls in trouble, and seasoned women with a brood already at home. (I called those babies 'toesies,' because they were more than their mamas could count on their fingers.) They all came to the house, wailing and keening their babies into the world. I wiped the feverish necks with cool, moist cloths, spooned porridge and hot tea into their tired bodies, talked them back from outside of themselves.
The Glass Castle is a heart breaking memoir of Jennette Walls. Jannette grows up in total poverty; her father being a alcoholic, who moves his family from one town to the next to follow his latest idea to make them rich, all the while feeding his kids tales of a Glass Castle he will one day built them.
After starting this Novel by Anita Shreve, I’ve decided that I very much enjoy her books. I love the style she writes in and I find her books are a quick read. This is the first book of hers that I’ve pick for myself ,as Spencer usually buys one of her books to put in my Christmas stocking. Pick up this book if you want an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

2 comments:
I'm so glad to hear what you've been reading. I'm recommending "Glass Castle" to everyone--except my mother, who can't tolerate ANY "language".
I think Jarom is smart to wear his medal to school. Lets the teacher know right off this is no ordinary kid.
dear sister court,
i'm just doing the daily checking i do of your blog; because i truly revolve around your book reviews, i don't think i'd ever be able to finish my english tonight if i was unable to read these for inspiration. thankyou for enhancing my life!
hahaha love ya,
joelle
Post a Comment