
When I was a young mom, I remember listening to my friend, Nicole communicate her frustration with her inability to keep her kids off The Screens (computer, T.V. and game system). I remember at the time thinking and probably expressing, “what’s the problem; you just turn off the T.V. and tell them television time is over and that’s it”. Once again as the years have gone on, and my second child has reached the age of television watching, game cube playing and computer exploring I have once again been taught that valuable lesson – Never say Never.
Jarom is a Screens fanatic! He will wake up at the crack of dawn rush down to the game cube and play until I rip the control from his tightly clutched fists. At which time he will head for the T.V. and masterfully manoeuvre the remote to the channel of his choice. He loves the remote so much he hides it in his coat pocket when we go to pick Nolan up from school, thus ensuring two things 1) that he is guaranteed sole use of the control upon returning home and 2) he gets to feel the remote in his pocket while we are driving and dream about all the wonderful cartoons which await his arrival.
This has been a totally adjustment for me; Nolan who still doesn’t know how to work the remote complied with my turn off the TV and just say no policy. Jarom will sit for hours trying to undo the lengths I’ve gone too to prevent his screens addictions. The only thing I have done that seems to work is physically removing the TV and hiding the controllers.
I'm off to go round 6 for power of the remote. Wish me luck.
3 comments:
My mom put a lock through the plugin for the tv, and hid the key in her jewelry box which we later found, but it worked for a while.
Auntie Joy
And you thought Krista was terrible for putting her tape recorder through the door!! Motherhood certainly changes one's perspective doesn't it. As Krista got older we had to turn the satelite off - but then my oldest child "Fred" didn't think it was fair that he had to be punished too. Love your comments - they are absolutely hilarious. You should write a book Angela. Can't wait to read more.
Jackie T.
Oh Ang, I too have the same fight on my hands everyday!! I have resorted to just taking the game cube cords and hiding them all over the house. The best is when I truely forget where I hide it and there are a few days of peace. Except for the incesant plea of them all for me to remember where I have hid it. Usually the kids are too smart and know all my hiding spots. In the bread box, in the laundry room, in the closet, in a box in the closet, under the bed in the dresser drawer...the list is endless and ever changing. Good luck and if you come up with some good ones let me know.
Larita
Post a Comment