Sunday, March 23, 2008

Why does this Ham taste like Chicken?

Ham is our family’s favourite meat. It is the one meat that both my kids love and will eat tons of without having to be threatened or cajoled. The problem being that I don’t really like ham leftovers. I haven’t really found a good casserole dish that uses up the remaining ham and really there are only so many ham dinners you can eat. As a result I always like to have company over when there is ham on the menu.

I’ve had a ham in my freezer that I’ve been saving for Easter and was really looking forward to. This morning before my meeting, I did all the dinner preparations so we could just take the ham out of the oven, cook up some veggies and tada Easter dinner would be really.


I had ward correlation this morning, when I got home the kids had their coats on and Spencer was ready to drive us to church before he had to head off to talk in another ward. I quickly programmed the oven to come on at the right time, threw the ham in the oven and ran out the door.

I walked in the house after church expecting to be greeted by the tantalizing aroma of perfectly cooked ham, but all I smelled was the stinky garbage. I checked the oven and it quickly became apparent that I had miss programmed the oven and there sat a raw ham.

A few years ago this would have devastated me and I would have freaked out. Apparently I have mellowed in my old age – I just defrosted some chicken breast threw on a little teriyaki sauce (thanks Anne) and popped it in the oven.

I guess we’re having ham tomorrow – want to come for dinner?

2 comments:

R Smith said...

Poor ham.

I too have a soft place in my heart for "the other white meat". That would be pretty dissapointing when you're looking foreward to that smell. Hope it works today!

Dawn said...

I can do better than that;-)
One night I made ham for supper, it was a really BIG ham so when it was time to eat only the outsides were done. I carefully carved off the ends and put the rest back in the oven to finish cooking, and then forgot about it. Well all night long I kept waking up and thinking "Wow the smell of that ham is really strong"...apparently because it was STILL IN THE OVEN. When I got up in the morning I realized what I had done and ran to the oven. It's pretty sad that when I put it outside to cool off even the half starved neighborhood cats and stray dog woulodn't come near it. It took DAYS to get the smell out of my kitchen. I think I'll stick to chicken=)