I've been re-reading The Secret Life of Bees. I love this book and am so glad I ran out of books to read and choose to re-read this one. I find this book full of great little lines that make me stop and think. Here is a passage I recently read and have been pondering."Did this mean if I told May about T. Ray's mounds of grits, his dozens of small cruelties, about my killing my mother - that hearing it, she would feel everything I did? I wanted to know what happened when two people felt it. Would it divide the hurt in two, make it lighter to bear, the way feeling someone's joy seemed to double it?"
I feel I have always been fortunate to be blessed with people in my life who share my joys and sadness. Sharing does, for me, make the sorrows a little easier to bear and the joys that much better.
1 comment:
A friend down here informed us that 'The Secret Life of Bees' was so controversial, so edgy, that it caused the break-up of her book club.
I'm also pretty sure that book is responsible for Hurrican Gustav.
Post a Comment