The kid's school is in the midst of working on this project - One School, One Book. Every child in the school received their very own copy of - Ida B by Katherine Hannigan. Every night we read 2 chapters and then the following day at school the boys answer questions and complete projects.
I think it's an interesting undertaking. Jarom has no interest in the book and at first Nolan merely tolerate it, but as we delve deeper into the story and learn about Ida B and her family we become more intrigued.
Ida B is a free spirit, who couldn't be herself at school and as a result she has been home schooled for the last 4 years. Her best friends are the trees in the apple orchard and the brook; when she is seeking wisdom or comfort she goes to visit a wise old tree up on the hill. Last night in our reading Ida's mother was diagnosed with cancer, under going chemo and Ida B is being sent back to school.
I find this book interesting and I enjoy Katherine's descriptive writing style. The book deals with deep issues at the interesting to discuss with Nolan. I'll be interested to see how the book ends and Nolan's thoughts on the project.
No comments:
Post a Comment