Sunday, November 13, 2011

Baptisms


Oct 15th  In the very early hours of the morning we took Nolan to do baptisms for the dead in the temple.  We had planned to do it on his birthday, but then realized boys had to hold the priesthood.

Both Spencer and I went with him for his first time.  A tradition my friend Anne introduced us to, so thankful for good friends.  Spencer preforming the baptism and I did baptisms along side Nolan.  It was such a nice experience to be there with Nolan and watch as he witness everything for the first time.  We got to quietly sit and talk about the symbolism of it all. 


After we went to the temple cafeteria, where even though it was only 8:30 in the morning we enjoyed fresh bread and jam, pie and cheesecake with Nolan washing it all down with a rootbeer.  I know it wasn't such a great breakfast but I thought the creating of traditions and memories was worth it.


The following Tuesday Nolan went with the YM and YW of our ward.  He was asked to give a talk on his experience the following Sunday.  Here it is.


Talk baptisms for the dead
(Nolan's First talk in Sacrament October 16, 2011)
I was asked to speak to you on baptisms for the dead today.  I recently turned 12 and I wanted to go and do baptisms on my birthday, but I learned that young men must hold the priesthood before he can do baptism for the dead. 
Baptism for the dead is when we get baptised then confirmed in the person name that is dead. Elder Christofferson taught: “The vicarious ordinances we perform in temples, beginning with baptism, make possible an eternal welding link between generations that fulfills the purpose of the earth’s creation.”
President Hinckly said:“What a marvelous thing that is that you, an ordinary boy or girl, can stand in the place of some great man or woman who at one time lived upon the earth but who is now powerless to move forward without the blessing that you can give to him or her. … There is no greater blessing that you can have than to stand as a proxy in a great service to those who have gone beyond. And it will be your privilege and your opportunity and your responsibility to live worthy to go to the temple of the Lord and there be baptized in behalf of someone else”.

  My mom and dad took me to do baptism last Saturday.  I was really excited to go to the temple and see the inside.  I thought the baptistery was beautiful and I learned that almost everything in the temple is Symbolic.  I could feel that the temple was a scared place when I walked inside the doors. When I was performing the baptisms and confirmation I felt really good that I could help people in the spirit world that wanted to receive those blessings.   
Then on Tuesday I got to go to the temple again with the young men and young women of our ward.  While I was waiting for my turn to perform baptism, I had more time to sit and ponder about the sacredness of the temple and the people I would  be helping .

 President Hunter said:“We hope that you, as young members of the Church, will go often to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead. When the time comes for you to go on a mission or be married, we pray that you will go to the temple worthily and feel the beautiful spiritual atmosphere that is present in the temple.”
I am thankful I was able to go to the temple and perform baptisms.

1 comment:

carolyne b said...

I have to say its one of the greatest reasons to live so close to the Temple. And to experience it with Nolan must have been a really spiritual moment in his and your lifes. congrad's.