Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Summer list

9. Geocaching - Visit this post. It's been a fun summer to do our beginner caching. We are up to 31 finds and there were only a few we couldn't find. On one of our outings Jarom locked us out of the van and Spencer had to come rescue us. The kicker of the whole thing was that we couldn't even find that cache.

10. Hiking
SCOUT CAMP
 
I love the tired look on Nolan's face.
Camp was good for these boys, they did a hard long hike, they built their own shelters to sleep in and had man tests. Nolan fared well.   
Nolan had to give a talk on scout camp so I'll let you read his thoughts on camp.
 


 
Scout Camp

Hello, I was asked to speak to you about our 2012 Scout Camp. Our camp started on the 16th we all met up at the Jerry Potts building at 8am and drove to the Crowsnest Pass. When we arrived at the point where our hike in to camp was to begin Bro. Summerfelt dropped us off to hike 5 km to our camp site. After we arrived we had to unload Bro. Summerfelt’s truck with all of our cooking stuff and essentials needed for camping.
We also had to build our shelters where we would have to sleep for the two nights of our camp. Just like how we had to build our shelters to protect us from things that may harm us on our camp, we have to build a strong foundation in Christ  to protect us from temptations that can lead us away from the gospel.
 In Helaman 5:12 its says.     
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
Friday, after having breakfast we went on a 28 km hike to Grizzly Lake. On our hike we had to overcome rushing streams that were in our path, we had to hike up steep hills and walk for what seemed like endless amounts of time, it seemed like we would never get to the lake.
President Monson said:  We live in a troubled world, a world of many challenges. We are here on this earth to deal with our individual challenges to the best of our ability, to learn from them, and to overcome them. Endure to the end we must, for our goal is eternal life in the presence of our Father in Heaven. He loves us and wants nothing more than for us to succeed in this goal. He will help us and bless us as we call upon Him in our prayers, as we study His words, and as we obey His commandments. Therein is found safety; therein is found peace.        
Just as our goal was to make it to lake, we have an eternal goal here on earth, to live with Heavenly Father again.   From our difficult hike I learned that I can’t give up when I’m so close to my destination, when hard things happen to me I will try has hard as I can to get through it, because I know that just like we eventually made it to the lake, I want to make it back to my Heavenly Father.

 
VENTURE CAMP 

 
There was a lack of men available to go on venture camp, so Spencer stepped up even though he had just gone on scout camp with Nolan; he went so these boys could go.
Nolan went too, seemed only fair.

 
This hike was long and hard and these boys didn't think they could make it.  They hiked forever to reach a lake they thought was their destination only to find they had to walk 6 kms more.  Their leader was awesome as they hiked the last 6 kms and taught them they weren't hiking any longer they were building men. 

 
I so loved that they learned they could do hard things.  I loved they were pushed to the breaking point and came out victorious.  I love that Nolan is blessed with leaders who notice a teaching moment and teach the boys.  "Building Men" has become our family mantra.
 


No comments: