Friday, October 31, 2008

I can do this, I can do hard things.

It's been a hard week at the Court House. I think I've mentioned/lamented, whatever you want to call it, that Jarom is allergic/intolerant, again whatever you want to call it, to the protein in milk. It has recently come to my attention that maybe Jarom shouldn't be having any dairy products. Sunday, Spencer and I (mostly me) decided to conduct a two week experiment to see if removing all dairy in Jarom's life would clear up what ails him.

Now if Jarom had problems with the lactose in milk our lives would be substantially easier. Milk protein or a form of it is in EVERYTHING. You think of it and he can't have it.

Meals this week have been a bit of a nightmare. What do you make for dinner, lunch and breakfast when your child can eat practically nothing? As the week has gone on I've found more and more things he can eat, but of course he doesn't like the new food. Right now at this very moment I am hiding in my room as Jarom screams because he doesn't like his vegan hotdogs. Now I ate the vegan hotdog for dinner and I thought it tasted much better than the more commonly consumed dogs.

I've had some revelations about parenthood this week. I really like a parenting book I read called The Parenting Breakthrough by Merilee Boyack. She is all about teaching your children to be independent and work. My favorite part of the book is when she says, sorry I tired to find it in the book so I could quote it, but here is what I got out of what I read. I as a parent can/have to do hard things, when I find myself slipping in my resolve to do what is best for my child I need to head into my room and give myself a pep talk.

This has been going through my head all week and I've had to give myself many pep talks. One night I hiding in my room while Jarom conducted a 50 minute screaming, crying fest. I built myself up and then headed back out to face what was awaiting me.

If, you made it all the way through this post, thanks. I just needed to share.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE YOU.

Krista said...

When I made Brogan go "cold turkey" on the milk products a year ago (he's Autistic) ... I thought I was going to lose my mind. He became this demented terror for like three days. Taking kids off milk has been likened to making a heroin (sp?) addict go cold turkey. There are things in milk that are simply not good for the body that they become addicted too. However, after the body learns to adjust it's all gravy.
Maybe it was easier for me because I live close to a Whole Foods and had a lot of help from the staff in altering our meals and finding delicious alternatives for Brogan.
But I have to say after the first few weeks ... it gets easier because you see a (positive) change in your baby.

Angela said...

Hi Krista,
Thanks for the hope that things will get better.

I'd appreciate any help you could share, meal ideals would be a life saver.

My e-mail is angcourt@hotmail.com

Tricia said...

Ang I wish I cold give you a good suggestion biut I come up empty. I honestly can say that of all my friends I think you have the most patience, and wonderful ideas to be an amzing mother I have learned so much from you and Am more willing to try anything that you have suggested or tried in your home. I miss your family so much I can't even tell you how much. Let just say that I understand depression so much more on a much deeper level since you have moved.
Back to happier note have you noticed a difference in Jarom since taking all dairy out? Good luck keep your head held high!!

momma street said...

Is there anyway to not TELL Jarom what he is eating?? Make it look like the good ole stuff?? I know we shouldn't LIE to our children, but a little deception for the good of the mother?? I think it is OK! Good luck, dear good mother and hang in there!!!

Anonymous said...

That is hard!!You know he certainly looks healthy and active. Here are a couple of things that work with my students and which might apply here. Get him involved in the process. He can help plan menus from a list of approved choices and then help with the buying, looking at ingredients, etc. Also give him choices, not cake or vegan burger but let the choice be between a couple of approved items. You probably already do this type of thing but I find it helps when kids feel they have some control and choice.

You are such a good mom. Hang in there. Things won't always be like this.

Auntie Joy

Anonymous said...

I truly feel for you. I've had to live dairy free while I nurse Luke and it's awful. I've had to cut out so many yummy meals that call for cheese, milk, and creamed soups. Sometimes I slip up and have a little bowl of cereal but I always pay for it later with a very cranky baby. Good luck with your endeavor. Be strong, I know you can do it.
kaddi