Monday, September 07, 2009

Calling all cooks

Well I was actually posting this with the purpose of soliciting advice, but in rereading the recipe directions I've answers some of my questions, but since I found this recipes so absolutely delectable I'll share it anyhow and still ask a question.


I generally shy away from recipes calling for a pan of water to be put in the stove and then placing the baking dish on top of it. The whole process scares me a bit and I'm not sure how it works. Last night I failed to heat the water before placing my pan inside, which caused the pudding to have to bake longer and in the end I'm not sure it baked correctly - but it was still good enough to have our guests moaning (wait maybe that was me) and Jarom asking for more.

So, here is a question, how much water do I use in the pan and really what is the purpose of the water?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A method that you can use for keeping the cake from peaking will also keep the cake moist. Move the oven rack for baking the cake to the upper center, and then put the other rack at the bottom. Place a pan of water on the bottom rack that is as big around as the cake pan and will keep about 2" of water in it. Bake the cake with the water bath under it. This works especially well for chocolate cakes and for altitudes above 7000 ft. The humidity that the water bath gives off moistens the cake.