
Since this is my first year as a baseball mom I was unaware of certain cultural aspects that company the sport. The first thing I noticed was all the parents camped out in their lawn chairs with a gigantic bags of Spitz sunflower seeds. When I say gigantic I really mean it; the bags are huge. One family even doubled up and each parent had a bag of their own. All the parents sit on the side lines eating their Spitzs and then spitting the shell all over the ground. By the time the game is over everyone is forced to wade through an enormous pile of spit covered sunflower shells.
At first I was a little in awe of this ritual, but after sitting through my first game I realized the wisdom of it all or at least the reasoning behind the Spitz spitting. Baseball is at times a bit mind numbing. A game that is scheduled to run for 1 1/2 hours can at times feel like an eternity. Although I am very fortunate in that Nolan is a great player; he hits the ball easily and even though he is assigned to play left field shortstop (I’m not even really sure if that is a real position) it’s not uncommon for him to catch a pop fly on the other side of the field.
2 comments:
But we are all dying to know did you join the club are you a "spitz" eater now?.......
Everytime I go to Medicine Hat, I have to pay omage to the Spitz Factory.....hmmmmmm seasalt flavor, it make for a great rode trip to!
Grampa S
Post a Comment