Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Your mom is a bad parent"

Today Nolan was very stand offish with me.  I could tell he was upset with me and it became very clear that he had negative feelings towards me when he refused to ride his bike beside me at lunch -he didn't want to talk to me.  I let it go, but all afternoon I felt upset.  

Nolan came home from school today and as he was eating his snack he said, "Kerin thinks you are a bad parent.  He doesn't think I should have to do my homework or a job every day.  He told me how I could sneak out of the house".

One of my greatest fears as a parent is that I will raise kids who are unable to do for themselves.  Who reach the age of 18 and don't know how to clean a bathroom, wash their clothes, make and follow a budget or understand that getting what you want means hard work and sacrifice. 

Because I stay at home, I have a tendency to think - well, I'm home, I can do everything.  Not to mention that is it 10 times easier to do it myself then to get a 5 yr. old to make his bed, pick up shoes and hang up his coat and to sit patiently as my 8yr. old trashes about because he has to write a book report using correct punctuation, capital letters and coherent sentences.

Spence and I took a parenting class at church and one of the quote given to us said, "The definition of a lazy parent is a parent who does for their children what they can do for themselves".  I've tried to implement this philosophy.

I feel defeated tonight, but I think I'll choose to wear this little criticism as a badge of honor. 

I'm trying my best to raise competent young men who will someday be good missionaries, husband, fathers and priesthood holders; if that makes me a bad mom, so be it!

6 comments:

Krista said...

I agree, if being a bad parent means you're involved, teaching your kids how to work and good values ... I'll be a bad parent any day!

Anne said...

If Nolan wants to sneak out,he's talking to the wrong person. Ship him out here for a week, I'll teach him a thing or two.

Shaela said...

All this means is that you are doing it right and some day (far away) he will turn around and thank you for it. You are awesome.

Unknown said...

While you are watching you kids clean your house and have cleaning withdrawal, you can alway came over and clean ours. I'm sure Anne would like to watch you working up as sweat while she is writing her blog. Dinner ready on the table when i get home would be great too. Miss you ANG!!!

Dawn said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the "bad parent" club. We have weekly meetings and classes on "Getting your kids to clean the toilet", "No, you CANNOT wear that to school" and my personal favorite "YES you have to go to church EVERY week". Then we have snacks=)

Anonymous said...

Dale...you are going to be in trouble for those comments, but man was that funny.

Spenny