Girl’s camp here in Winnipeg is way different than any other YW’s camp I have ever heard of. I remember my days at camp; sleeping in a tent on the hard ground probably in a puddle of water because it rained the whole time we were there. Eating burnt food, which we cooked ourselves over an open fire or better yet, on a rock, and the only bath we got was whatever magic we could be work in the frigid glacial water.Here in Winnipeg the girls go to what in my mind seems like a resort. I’ve never been, but from the reports I’ve heard it seems as close to paradise as yw camp could ever come. The girls sleep in cabins with bed and mattresses. There is running water, and daily hot showers, they have cooks to cook their food. When I first arrived in Winnipeg, I was horrified that the Winnipeg stake had the nerve to call this camping, but now that I am in Young Women’s and will soon be attending my first girls camp in many, many, many years I can’t tell you how excited I am about these luxuries.
As you can imagine, along with all these comforts comes a considerable cost. As a fund raising project I thought it would be easy for us to sell Lumpia (a Filipino spring roll, very small). And it was; a little too easy in fact. We had to roll 11, 863. Yes that’s right almost 12,000. And we still had tons of people coming and asking if they could buy some, we probably could have sold twice that amount.
It took way longer to roll the lumpia than I had anticipated, and I was never so happy and when I saw the last lumpia being rolled. The only thing that makes it all worth it is the at we raised enough money to pay for all the girls camp fee.
1 comment:
You are the best YW pres ever.. And I mean ever! Those girls are so lucky to have you! I am glad to hear you finished up!! I hope you have a great time at camp!
Post a Comment